VHS Sounding Board: Third Sector Contribution to Narrowing Health Inequalities
Thursday 17 October 2013, 9.45 – 14.00 (Lunch included)
Quaker Meeting House, 7 Victoria Terrace, Edinburgh, EH1 2JL
Thursday 17 October 2013 is the Annual United Nations Day for the Eradication of Poverty. As part of the first Challenge Poverty Week, co-ordinated by the Poverty Alliance, VHS Scotland is holding a Sounding Board to examine and discuss the third sector contribution to narrowing health inequalities in Scotland.
This Sounding Board event is an opportunity for VHS members to:
- discuss what we understand by health inequalities,
- find out about current activities that reduce health inequalities in local communities
- examine challenges and barriers to narrowing health inequalities, and
- discuss what support organisations need to further narrow health inequalities.
The programme includes the following:
- Policy review of health inequalities – Clare Beeston, Principal Public Health Advisor, NHS Health Scotland
- A presentation of research findings on what policies are needed to reduce health inequalities – Dr Katherine Smith, Global Public Health Unit, School of Social & Political Science, University of Edinburgh
- The work of ASH Scotland in tackling health inequalities – Tracey Rogers, Inequalities Manager, Action on Smoking and Health Scotland