People with arthritis can’t ignore their pain. Let’s make sure the Government doesn’t either.
Lockdown has made living with arthritis harder. The pain of waiting for joint replacement surgery is impossible to ignore. We need a national plan to restart treatment & bring down waiting lists safely.
People with arthritis in Scotland have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and are in danger of being left behind.
- Over 1.5 million people in Scotland have arthritis or a musculoskeletal condition.
- Musculoskeletal conditions are the leading cause of years lost to disability in Scotland.
- 78% of people with arthritis experience pain most days: 80% say managing pain and its symptoms would significantly improve their quality of life.
Versus Arthritis’ Impossible to Ignore campaign is calling for:
- Arthritis and musculoskeletal conditions to be addressed in planning for the restart of treatment and services
- Commitment to the ongoing involvement of people with arthritis to shape the future of treatment and services
- National plans to bring down joint replacement waiting lists safely
- Local planning to ensure that people with arthritis have access to ongoing communication, advice and support to manage their pain
Impossible to ignore: The impact of covid-19 on people with arthritis
- Versus Arthritis launched a UK-wide survey to understand the impact of COVID-19 on people with arthritis between April and June 2020. Of the 600 Scottish respondents who took the survey, almost 40% said they did not have access to the care and treatment they needed to manage their pain and 93% said the Government needed to do more to raise awareness of the pain of arthritis.
- For many people with arthritis, the pandemic has had a significant impact their health, care, and quality of life:
o 43% reporting that their appointments for arthritis had been cancelled, rising to over 50% for those self-isolating
o 40% reported feeling lonelier and more isolated, rising to 46% for those self-isolating
The significant impact of COVID-19 on people with arthritis’ physical and mental wellbeing is clear, highlighting a need for improved support, information, and advice.
Impossible to ignore: addressing the needs of people with arthritis
On Thursday 16th July Versus Arthritis is launching a UK-wide campaign to make sure that people with arthritis and musculoskeletal conditions are a priority at the national and local level following the restoration of NHS and public services during the COVID-19 pandemic.
We need your support to help us ensure the voices of people with arthritis are heard by decision-makers:
- Share your support for our campaign on Social Media on Thursday 16th July
- Share our Petition to the Cabinet Secretary for Health and Sport calling for a national plan to bring down joint replacement waiting lists safely.
- Encourage your supporters to write to their MSP asking them to find out if arthritis and musculoskeletal conditions are being prioritised locally in their constituency
Impossible to ignore: support our campaign and find out more by contacting me or find out more here.
Alan McGinley is the Policy & Engagement Manager at Versus Arthritis
Call: 01414 010351 m: 07834418449