Health Inequalities Inquiry Engagement Event: Equalities and Human Rights
23/05/2022 @ 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm
The Scottish Parliament’s Health, Social Care & Sport Committee is holding an inquiry into what can be done about health inequalities. The Parliament’s Community & Participation Team are hosting four informal engagement events as part of their scrutiny of the wider determinants of health inequalities.
This online engagement event will focus on equalities and human rights. It will give organisations the chance to engage with parliamentarians about the wider determinants of health.
Social injustice can create conditions that can negatively affect the health and wellbeing of individuals and communities.
- Some individuals and groups, most often those who are vulnerable or disadvantaged, have poorer health outcomes than others.
- These individuals and groups can experience barriers accessing health and care, these can be physical, financial, mental or social related to stigma/discrimination.
- Human rights violations can contribute to and exacerbate poor health.
In the context of equalities and human rights we would like participants to consider:
- What do you think are the key factors which have negative impact upon people’s health?
- What do you think are the main barriers to people improving their health?
- What change(s) would you like to see which would help improve people’s health?
Voluntary Health Scotland is helping facilitate each of the engagement events and we are looking for expressions of interest from those wanting to take part. If you are interested in contributing to this session we would be grateful if you could contact Kimberley with your expression of interest.