Free LGBT Capacity Training Available for Mental Health Organisations
Please note: Dates and location to be confirmed.
As a result of stigma and discrimination, evidence shows that suicidal behaviour is 3 times more prevalent among lesbian, gay and bisexual (LGB) people when compared to the general population; this rises to 8 times among transgender people. Self-harm is 8 times more prevalent among LGB people; rising to 20 times among transgender people. Despite some successes in formal equality, LGBT continue to face discrimination and barriers when accessing mainstream mental health services.
Building on the work of our national mental health demonstration project, LGBT Health and Well Being are funded by the Scottish Government to support mental health organisations or providers to strengthen their LGBT inclusive practice. The Mental Health Capacity project supports mainstream mental health service providers to become more culturally competent in meeting the needs of LGBT people who use their services through:
- Bespoke capacity building support to mental health providers to enable them to work through a Mental Health Audit Tool and identify actions that would enhance their practice
- Delivery of mental health-focused training on LGBT issues tailored to the specific needs of agencies
The Audit Tool focuses on five key areas:
- Supporting staff to develop cultural competence in working with LGBT people
- Making services safe and accessible
- Ensuring policies and procedures support LGBT-inclusive practice
- Embed equality monitoring of sexual orientation and gender identity
- Develop proactive promotion, publicity and engagement with LGBT people.
We are currently in the process of identifying organisations & service providers to take part in the project. For questions, more information, or to register interest in taking part contact Kelly Minio-Paluello: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0141 271 2330
For more information on the Mental Health Demonstration project click here: http://www.lgbthealth.org.uk/online-resources/